Friday, December 31, 2010

Travel Day: Amsterdam to Hamburg

Happy New Year! Six hours or more to go in Winnipeg but in Hamburg the fire works are still blasting off all over the city! This morning I awoke in Amsterdam for the last time to Nico's alarm after a better night of less snoring from our "dear friend" who had actually put his phone on silent but continued to speak loudly during the night to someone.

For some reason, it was still a rush to the train station. Everything is always a rush! I had realized last night that there was an earlier train that would get me to Hamburg in less time. Less time spent on the train is good. I missed the first train to Schipol but caught the next which only took 15 minutes to get there. I was able to activate my train pass and get on board the train in surprising time - only to hear an announcement that the train was having mechanical malfunctions. The doors were all locked and would not open except in one car, and they had no idea when the mechanics would arrive to fix the problem. I went back to the train counter to ask for another itinerary. Next train left at the time of the original one I had planned to take. So much for rushing and having to say a frantic good-bye to my friend!

Transferring trains was no problem: Holland trains say everything in Dutch and English (and I think German). But German trains only make announcements in German for the most part. So I got off one stop early. But caught the next to Hamburg Hbf with a little help from Jorinna and some nice people at the station.

Finally in Hamburg! So nice to see the first person I walked with on our first day on the Camino de Santiago de Compostella! On May 11, 2009, we met at an albergue in St. Jean Pied-de-Port where the hospitalera and her son lived with 14 cats (or at least 12). The next morning, Jorinna and I walked over the Pyranees and I gave her my MEC hiking pole with its little wrapping of duct tape (you never know when you'll need it). I lost her and then saw her again three weeks later in Leon.

This time I got to meet her entire family and all the pets! Dogs, cats, rabbits, and TWO chinchillas - finally I get to see these legendary animals live and in person. My former co-worker had only shown pictures of hers but tonight my room mates will be squeaking and not snoring! This will be a most wonderful and welcome change of scene!

Celebrating New Year's Eve in Hamburg was so much fun, albeit low-key. After a wonderful dinner (sauer kraut, curly kale, and potatos (I know my dad will want an itemized list - but I'm leaving out the meat - HA!), we melted lead talismans in spoons over candles and spilled the liquid into a bowl of water to tell our fortunes. Apparently I will have to be careful and I will experience heartbreak. Oi vey! Just what I need! Next, we headed out to the park across the street to light sparklers and watch neighbours setting off fireworks. Light shows were also going off all over the city and there are still bangs and pops going off in the night more than an hour into the new year! Then I played Auld Lang Syne and Schtille Nacht on the violin for my hosts and off to bed with the chinchillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment