Monday, January 3, 2011

Duesseldorf: Fashion Capital of Germany

Beware Duesseldorf, the worst-dressed Canadian ever is walking your streets - at least for the next 12 hours. Well okay, at least I'm not wearing bright yellow rain boots with white fur trim as seen on certain tourists in Amsterdam recently. Unfortunately I got in after sunset so it was hard to really appreciate this well-to-do, well-dressed town. The streets are uncannily quiet but I was only approached by one solitary street person asking for change on the Königsallee, the fancy fashion strip (everything closed). All I could do tonight was check into the Backpacker Düsseldorf Hostel (15€ if you go) and wander around the Altstadt area looking for dinner. I found it at Mateo, an Italian place in the heart of this shop and restaurant-riddled neighbourhood. The best cream-of-broccoli soup EVER, nuf said. Served with little whole wheat buns. I didn't need the spinach gnocchi at all but enjoyed the coffee after.

Tomorrow I will try to catch the Hostal's free breakfast right at 8:00 when it opens and wander to the Rhine River for some photo ops before I have to jump a train for Basel at 10:22. This plan of travelling during the day is ruining my sight-seeing and shopping abilities. Maybe an inability to shop is a good thing at this point! I still have 19 days to go and am no where near Salzburg! Speaking of, there's also been no opportunity to practice....argh.

No comments:

Post a Comment