Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sanctioning the Eiger

Missed yesterday despite the hostel having free internet because the web software security had been compromised and when I tried to go to the gmail or blogger websites requiring passwords, a bunch of warnings popped up regarding cookies and "unsecure". Two Nigerian guys were parked on both internet terminals from when I arrived at 3pm until 9pm when I tried to use the web. They let others use them no problem but asked me to leave their windows open. Then the whole time I was on the web, this one guy proceeded to ask personal questions of all the young female hostel guests traveling solo: What is your name? How old are you? What do you do? Where are you from? Where are you going? Do you have family? Do you have a boyfriend? What is your sister`s name? How old is she? What room are you staying in?

I am not kidding. This was the exact line of questioning I heard directed at an exotic looking art student. They didn`t waste time asking me anything having already sized me up in an incredibly creepy way when I first came in. White hair and a distinct lack of make up and fashion sense can save your ass in some situations. I couldn`t stand listening to this blatantly obvious human trafficker at work so I quietly went and informed the receptionist that the internet security was issuing warnings, and also told her about the man`s persistent questioning of the young girls. She hadn`t noticed (?!?) and was very happy that I told her.

I`m now safe in Grindelwald waiting to check in to the Downtown Hostel and will fill the gap between Jan 7 and 9 by going to Innsbruck since poor Florian has to work and then is a stunt man in a film on the very day we wanted to meet up. I`m going to pass on seeing Chamonix and Mont Blanc since it will take forever on the trains and is overly touristy, whereas Grindelwald is not as....although now that I`m here I have my doubts. Seems awfully touristy. However, a certain ex-lawyer-climber-cop told me to go to see Tirol, hence Innsbruck.

The Swiss Alps are beautiful so off into daylight to enjoy them!

Tchoosz!

No comments:

Post a Comment