Friday, January 20, 2012

Ayala Museum and Improvisation

Thursday was my first time riding in a Jeepney, a modified WWII jeep that seats 14 and costs 8 pesos per 4 kilometres. I wanted to go to the Ayala Museum (built and financed by the Ayala family that made it rich investing in swamp land that then became prime commercial real estate - kind of like modern-day Medicis). As every day, I ended up doodling away the morning but caught a ride to the Makati-area museum with my host, Ramil, who had to go to the office anyway. He kindly showed me how to get from the Museum to the Jeepney Terminal, which happens to involve walking through the same series of Malls that I have now become familiar with: Greenbelt, Landmark, and Glorietta. We found a Power Books store and I was able to buy Joze Rizal's two novels.

Ayala Museum has a display of early Philippine gold artifacts. The ancient peoples would bury their dead with orifice covers and face masks made of finely-hammered gold, and used it for many decorative and religious things. Another gallery featured great Philippine artists including Juan Luna (19th Century), Fernando Amorsolo (20th Century), and Fernando Zobel (late 20th Century). Lastly was  series of 60 dioramas depicting the main historical events in Philippine history. Much was bloody and full of oppression and occupation by other nations. The story of Jose Rizal was included along with those of other revolutionaries. Ninoy Aquino, the beloved senator who was assassinated, was prominently featured.

After a tiny bit of shopping (I did arrive in the PH with minimal clothes and have found it a bit of a pain) I made it to the Jeepney terminal and hopped aboard. Ramil had told me which stop to get off at: Aurora, and which Jeepney line to take: Pasay Road to Libertad. Not a problem. I'm getting used to the crowds and the traffic - not that I like it but you adapt.

Made it home just in time for a shower and a bite before we had to catch a cab to practice at Infinitif Studios. This time, a run through of last rehearsal's songs and then right into new stuff. Most I had gone over with Alfie in Winnipeg, listening to Half Life Half Death's CD and making notes of what to do where. Then of course he had to throw at me some new stuff I'd never heard before. Sure, no problem, bring it on! After we had a few minutes to jam and I grabbed Joel's accoustic guitar - we launched into a bunch of Cult, Cure, and Modern English tunes, plus some other randoms that I've never heard before. So much fun!!

Today, Friday, Inna, Alfie and I did the Fort Santiago where a facebook friend of Inna's, met through an online New Wave radio station, works as the Curator of the Jose Rizal museum and shrine. Zarah personally showed us around and answered all our questions. She's in charge of dealing with all media inquiries, event planning, and public relations for the museum, plus research and other coordinating related to the museum. It was really an honour to have her to ourselves for a little over an hour. Now I have a much better appreciation of what Jose Rizal, the Philippine national hero, means to this country. at the gift shop I bought a copy of his poems, a biography, and a collection of his letters and essays - most necessary purchases!

Then Inna led Alfie and I on a madcap search for the famous market, Divisoria. She jumped a Jeepney, then dove into a shoulder-to-shoulder crowd wending to a cathedral, Jesus de Nazarene or something like that. Mass was under way and a huge line extended out of the church awaiting communion. We all gripped our bags close and stayed close when we made purchases. Ultimately, the crowd was not the Divisoria we were looking for and we never got there because I needed to get back home in time to change and get ready to meet Ali and Sumek for dinner at 6pm at Harbour Square. Also, it seemed like it would be a bit of a hunt to find the elusive marketplace.

Once home I had just enough time to shower and change and then walk down the alley that is Facundo Street in my fancy heels from Salzburg and my silk dress made by Guru clothing in Winnipeg from recycled Indian saris. The cabby I hailed turned out to be an honest, hard-working gentleman who charged a fair rate and knew exactly where to take me. Fare only 85p but I gave him a tip.

There was just enough time to have a snack and a huge latte at Starbuck's (yes, there's a bunch even in Manila - so wrong - but it makes an obvious meeting place). Ali and Sumek arrived in decent time and we ate at a Korean resto called Crazy Pan. The food was spicey (set poor Ali sneezing), and plentiful beyond our stomach capacity. We made it to the Cultural Centre right across the street and had lots of time before the show. Rain's two boys sat with me and the other Winnipeggers and Rain managed to find a seat in the same row further down.

The program included a small 5-movement piece by Dvorak, then a trombone concerto by Rimsky-Korsakov, and finally Symphony No. 5 by Carl Nielson, the 20th Century Danish composer. After the show we waited around for autographs from the trombonist, and I finally got to meet my new facebook friend, conductor Olivier Ochanine. More on the concert later since I'm dead tired - again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment