Sunday, January 22, 2012

To Market to Market, Jigetty Jig!

Anyone remember that old nursery rhyme? The Baclaran Market has absolutely EVERYTHING. This morning I found a malong - a tube of fabric used as a sleeping blanket, a wrap, a shawl, you name it. My kind of gear - it has at least three uses. Cost 300 pesos, about $7. Next I found a small suitcase that would fit my snorkelling fins and all my other gear for the week in Coron. Initially the vendor said 950 pesos but when I hesitated he asked "what's your budget?" We settled on 750 pesos since I was down to my last 400 but didn't want to ask him to discount it to that amount. Alfie chipped in for the rest and I paid him back later.

This market wasn't as crushing as the one Inna dragged us through yesterday. There was more room on the street here but there was still beggars and people carrying racks of totally useless things getting in your face offering it to you as if it was the most important thing in your life: "shorts, ma'am. shorts", "long sleeved shirt, ma'am, long-sleeved shirt. The shorts in question were boys' basketball shorts. The shirts were men's soccer jerseys.

One whole alley was devoted to gorgeous Philippine gowns and traditional pineapple fibre shirts. Sadly, none fit the big, burly Canadian girl. You have to get to the market in the morning as people tend to close up after noon. Inna was looking for shirts for herself and clothes for her kids for their next bout of visiting relatives. They had all brought only three shirts each with the intention of buying cheap clothes here. Good point too, because it's so hot and the clothes here are made for the weather.

We ate at Jollibee, the Philippine McDonalds, and then caught the LRT back to Libertad station where we hopped a Jeepney to Aurora Street.  Once home Inna and Alfie had to go visit some more relatives so I just stayed home and packed for Coron. Baby Liam and Melanie were in the air conditioned room with me and Liam kept trying to climb into my suitcase. It was the cutest thing. Then Melanie kindly cooked a simple dinner of scrambled eggs and rice for the two of us and we had a great conversation about our family members - she speaks very little English and I have barely a word of Filipino. But we understood each other perfectly!

The family came home just in time to turn around and head to band practice. This was the most difficult one for me since I didn't know most of the songs and most had specific tunes the violin is supposed to highlight. I am in worried mode. I'll be gone to Coron for a week and back in time for a preview gig on Jan 28th. Hoping I can pull off my part and not embarrass the band.

Off to bed with a plane to catch tomorrow morning!

3 comments:

  1. Reading the latest "Threads" magazine and wondering if the market boasts any stalls that carry unique Philippine fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Your part in the band's reunion concert...I'm sure your mere presence on the stage would be enough to enchant the audience...add to that, your violin playing. I hope too that you have been practicing there in Coron the "Pakitung-kitong" surprise that we thought of for the grand comcert.

    And, hey, what's up there in Coron? We haven't been hearing from you and Pet. Inna and I hope you're doing okay there,enjoying, and staying safe.

    See you on Saturday. And oh by the way, don't worry about the Saturday gig at Sazi's, we would perform only three songs..."Alimango," "Kapit-Tuko," and "High School (Life)."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry guys. She's safe, and having way too much fun I suspect! Check her FB profile for a beautiful pic of her on a mountain top.

    ReplyDelete