Friday, May 17, 2013

Reunion with old new friends

After all that hiking Tonet and I took a bit of a break on Wednesday. In the evening I set off to meet Carol and Joel for dinner in Intramuros - an adventure unto itself. First got to hop the LRT1, transfer to the LRT2, then jump a jeepney in front of Sta Cruz church and get off at the Manila Cathedral.

Good thing I brought a book! My friends' cab driver was stopped by police for traffic violations and I had to wait about an hour. In the dark. Sitting by the fountain in the park in front of the Manila Cathedral. But no worries! I was not alone. Besides an armed guard, a very friendly couple from Agono in Rizal province struck up a conversation with me, telling me about all the artists and museums there were to see down in their town.  Danny and Marita Heronymo said Agono is the arts capital of the Philippines, and home of the museum of Lucio San Pedro, as well as artist Francisco Botong. So much to do but so little time!

Arriving at Barbara's

When Carol and Joel arrived, I had learned a lot more about what lay to the south of Manila than I would have from any tour book. Off to Barbara's for more food and culture and to meet with more of the gang.




A show was in full swing when we arrived and the place was crawling with western tourists. I felt so out of place. So of course my friends offered me up as a sacrificial lamb to dance the Tinikling, which I like to call the 'ankle-smashing pole-dodging dance.'

Just try and smash my ankles!


The look that says, "Thanks guys. Thanks a LOT!"

After the show we took pictures with the dancers - and ourselves!





Then it was time for drinks at MOA - the SM Mall of Asia. But first, Carol and I felt compelled to express our displeasure at discovering the ever offensive male boob-oogling rape culture enabling non-family family restaurant, Hooters.

Boooo! We're offended!
I have never seen drink dispensers that look like giant beakers like the ones at Paddi's Place and I'm not sure what was in them but it sure looked toxic!

Well, someone drank it! Not me!

Thursday, May 3rd was also a rest day for Tonet and I. Frankly, neither of us had any desire to see the Modern English concert that everyone else seemed to be so excited about - we only knew the one song: I Melt With You, the National Anthem of New Wavers all over the world. And not being able to honestly describe ourselves as sufficiently enthusiastic New Wavers, we sat this one out.

Phantastic Pho is More Phun in the Philippines - at Araneta Gateway Mall with Antonette.

Wandering around Aranetta Center, though, I did discover an artist I would have loved to see live in concert: Jason Mraz. But unfortunately he would be performing two days after I hopped a plane for Canada.


So I concocted a plan to ensure that at least SOMEone could go in my place and report back to me how the concert went. Before I left I made sure my gracious hostess had tickets in hand and sent her with orders to review the show for me. What a wonderful experience it turned out to be! Maybe one day I'll be able to see this incredible and inspiring singer-songwriter perform live! I wonder if he needs a back-up violinist in his band....?

No comments:

Post a Comment