Thursday, May 16, 2013

What's a vacation without a little work? Inside the Indie Pinoy recording studio

The second and last week of my stay in Manila was full of music: Tuesday, May 7th was a 16-hour marathon of recording at Nolit's studio with Alfie. Nolit and Alf mixed songs already recorded in the morning and got me to add some violin tracks to Alfie's version of the Philippine classic "I am but a Small Voice" ("I am Not a Small Voice Anymore"). I also laid down tracks to a bunch of other songs that I can't remember because it was it was a very long day.

Nolit and Jr, our diminutive executive producer.

A highlight of the day was going next door to the 'internet cafe' to blog while the guys were mixing songs they didn't need me for. I walked in the unmarked blackened door and found a dark room full of young boys playing video games. They all stared at me so I took a breath and walked passed them to the counter at the back of the room. "I'd like to use the internet, please?" "Chat? Facebook?" the man at the counter replied. "Yes, and blogging." He turned on a ceiling light above my area and set up the computer. I sat down like I belonged and no one said anything. After a while the power shut down - brown-out. A roar of disappointment went up from the boys whose hard-earned scores were suddenly lost to digital oblivion. But my blog was posted so I sailed out of there like nothing happened. I was delighted to find that the fee was only 15php per hour, compared to 55php at Greenbelt 1's Netopia. Got to remember that place!

In the 'Ice Box': Nolit's temperature-controlled recording studio.

Working with Nolit was a great pleasure - he is encouraging and when you don't think you played a good line he will be right on the same page. His wife Angela is a lovely, warm and welcoming lady who kept us fed and watered, and made sure to put us in a cab at the end of a long day.

It's a family affair: the Indie Pinoy recording space is also the  living room. Alfie works out song parts while Dream Kitchen drummer, Bebet, plays basketball with two-year-olds as Angela watches.


Imitation is the highest form of flattery: Dream Kitchen bassist Gre Mar's little guy, only age two, dug out a plastic guitar and found a wooden stick to go with it. Then he started copying me!

How we roll at Nolit's while Sandro lays down the drums upstairs in the ice box.
My little shadow is ready to play!

This is: Indie Pinoy!
Alfie, guest dobro player Marvin (who is also the proud owner of a banjo!),
Pol and Zandro of Playa.



No comments:

Post a Comment